From my pal @Bongreatness…
Today the first 8,000 kids 14 and younger to the ballpark will receive a free Mascot Magnet (Mr. Red), presented by Delta Air Lines. Due to an expected big crowd today, gates to the ballpark are scheduled to open at 11:05AM for Season Ticket Holders and 11:20AM for the general public.
Today is the third Military Appreciation Day of the 2014 season, presented by GovX.com. The Reds will be wearing their digi-camouflage jerseys for the second time this season. During pregame ceremonies we will partner with Wright Patterson Air Force Base for several events and activations including a swearing-in ceremony for new Airmen, as well as a welcome home ceremony for those who recently returned from overseas duty.
Wright Brass, from the United States Air Force Band of Flight, will play God Bless America during the middle of the 7th inning break today.
Following the game today we will host the annual Reds Community Fund “Family Catch” event on the field. Hundreds of participants will get the opportunity to play catch in the outfield grass of Great American Ball Park, with proceeds benefitting the Reds Community Fund’s youth baseball & softball initiatives.
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Today the first 25,000 fans in attendance will receive a free Ken Griffey Jr. 500th Home Run Bobbblehead, courtesy of Cincinnati Bell. Due to today’s expected capacity crowd, gates to the ballpark will open at 2:05PM for Season Ticket Holders and 2:20PM for the general public.
During pregame ceremonies tonight the Reds will salute our 3 team finalists for the Target PEOPLE All-Star Teachers program. Joining us at the ballpark tonight will be Rachel Blanks, who teaches in Dayton, OH. Not able to join us tonight, but being recognized are her co-finalists Zach Kelley, of Brownsburg, IN, and Jean McPherron of Provo, UT. The Reds All-Star Teacher representative will be announced after voting ends on June 29th and that person will participate in pregame festivities at the MLB All-Star Game in Minneapolis on July 15th.
Fans will want to stick around after the game tonight for the first “Reds Movie Night” in ballpark history, thanks to Cincinnati Bell, powered by Cincinnati Bell Fioptics. Tonight’s feature move is The LEGO® Movie. The movie will begin approximately 10 minutes after the conclusion of today’s game.
CINCINNATI (June 20, 2014) — The Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati-based PlusBlue Solutions are partnering to offer a cutting-edge charging service for fans to use with mobile electronic devices at Great American Ball Park.
The PlusBlue handheld portable chargers will be available to rent on a single-game basis for $10 at the Reds Connect Zone (behind section 109) at every game this season beginning tonight when the Reds host the Toronto Blue Jays at 7:10 p.m.
PlusBlue battery packs are easy to use, compact in size, and compatible with most smartphones and tablets. Charging cables for most devices are included, if needed.
“By offering PlusBlue chargers, the Reds are pioneers of all of major sports by bringing a new way to charge electronic devices and keeping fans digitally engaged at the ballpark,” said Mike Bagby, founder of PlusBlue. “The Reds understand the real value of having fans powered and connected while enjoying the game.”
The Reds are the first major sports franchise to offer this service to its fans.
“We want our fans to stay connected while at the ballpark,” said Phil Castellini, Reds Chief Operating Officer. “We were excited to learn about PlusBlue portable chargers and welcome the chance to support a Cincinnati start-up company.”
The Reds Connect Zone is located on the Third Base Concourse behind section 109 and is a dedicated gathering spot for fans to follow and engage in real-time social media content related to the Reds. The Connect Zone offers free WiFi access and features more than two-dozen screens displaying game action plus Tweets, Instagram photos, Facebook polls, Vine videos, trending topics and more.
PlusBlue is a Cincinnati start-up company based in Cintrifuse founded by Cincinnati native Mike Bagby. PlusBlue uniquely solves the well-known problem of insufficient battery life of a smartphone that most people who spend time at large and busy venues can relate to. PlusBlue is pioneering a new concept for event-based phone charging with a very practical and simple rental service of premium grade portable chargers. The PlusBlue service enables customers to enjoy the event by charging their devices in their pocket or purse, whenever they need power without tethering to an outlet.
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Tonight is the 6th Fireworks Friday of the 2014 season, presented by the Jeff Wyler Automotive Family. The 15-minute postgame fireworks show, featuring Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks, will be set to a “Tribute to the Grateful Dead” music soundtrack and begin approximately 10 minutes after the conclusion of tonight’s game.
“Sam” the Bald Eagle from the Cincinnati Zoo will make a ceremonial flight from the Cincinnati Bell Riverboat Deck to the pitcher’s mound at the conclusion of tonight’s singing of United States National Anthem. Tonight marks Sam’s second flight of the 2014 season.
Danny Graves, the Reds all-time saves leader, will serve as tonight’s Honorary Captain. Danny is in town to visit with fans and signs autographs in the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum tonight and tomorrow prior to each game.
Note: We will sing the Canadian National Anthem (“O Canada”) tonight and all weekend during our series with the Blue Jays, prior to singing our own National Anthem.
Thank you new Twitter followers!
@PaintedGloves @LA_Camera @BOWENarrow @DanielMichael_1 @cincypedalwagon @WLCincy @MattCrouch82 @khall6344 @EricBrabin @daytonhomes4u @dowens34 @chasemetzger24 @PWCCincy @MiaRyanHB @nikrs18 @2016NB @stbrown1020 @mhladio92 @Its_JaeBea @JamieMarie620 @SportsPlusShow @bsblcardvandals @redsfanbob @gibby2k14 @j_caz @LaurenMGalley @GarryEYoung @MWBCPAs @VanIslandRCMP @chogan93 @JohnnySteelo @Sportsbeep @bayyy09 @RedsConnectZone @NatFlagCo @PresidentsFCU @AdrienneGreen @jsparsons @willlavender @DMBeahm @JakeBoyles @MariJoMcKinley @MattMidwest @CollierSZLive @bscrafford @BDrisk178 @Nadenesu @BDrisk178 @Mccarterig397 @mikedarner @Oranjeverlosser @cody_link @K_touris @DanHauserGolf @jeffdixon13 @AJBacon08 @rcorr143 @krabbew @nickgurganus15 @Cory_Baker19 @hoppy1028 @LuChaos4554 @iancook8 @jrdnbrgr @sherco4eva @DeliciousObsess @KatieHieronimus @dandi4love @stankcheeze @ComedianJWhy @Timmy9985 @CJNitkowski @danieljohnsonjr @RWilsonTNU @WrapsFromJill @mcpelfrey85 @nitroneenz @MannyRsports
Friday, June 20, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Toronto Blue Jays, 7:10 p.m.
• Fireworks: Post-game Rozzi’s fireworks show featuring a Grateful Dead soundtrack presented by Jeff Wyler Automotive Family.
• Honorary Captain: Danny Graves, the Reds all-time saves leader, will serve as the Honorary Captain of the game. Danny will be signing autographs at the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum on Friday and Saturday.
• #RedsSocial Night: Fans of the Reds on social media can purchase a special ticket package for only $32 that includes a seat in the #RedsSocial section and an exclusive @DatDudeBP shirt. Limited number of tickets available at reds.com/RedsSocial. Presented by Cincinnati.com.
• American Heart Association – Go Red for Women: During pregame ceremonies, the Reds will recognize the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women campaign with special survivor’s parade and check presentation.
• St. Vincent de Paul Canned Food Drive: Fans who bring three non-perishable food items to tonight’s game will receive a free ticket voucher to an upcoming Reds game, limit one ticket per person. Donation barrels are located inside the Gapper’s Alley gate entrance.
• Cincinnati Zoo Bald Eagle Flight: “Sam” the Bald Eagle from the Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden will perform a flight from the Cincinnati Bell Technology Pavilion in centerfield to the pitcher’s mound during the National Anthem.
Saturday, June 21, 2014 – Reds vs. Blue Jays, 4:10 p.m. (Standing Room Only and Single Seat tickets available)
• Ken Griffey Jr. Bobblehead: The first 25,000 fans will receive a Ken Griffey, Jr. bobblehead honoring the 10th anniversary of his historic 500th homer. Presented by Cincinnati Bell.
• Post-Game Movie: Fans can stay after the game for a free showing of the LEGO® Movie on the video board. Presented by Cincinnati Bell, powered by Fioptics.
• St. Vincent de Paul Canned Food Drive: Fans who bring three non-perishable food items to today’s game will receive a free ticket voucher to an upcoming Reds game, limit one ticket per person. Donation barrels are located inside the Gapper’s Alley gate entrance.
• Target presents PEOPLE/MLB All-Star Teachers: During pregame ceremonies, the three Reds finalists for the Target presents PEOPLE/MLB All-Star Teachers will be recognized on the video board: Rachel Blanks of Dayton, OH, Jean McPherron of Provo, UT and Zach Kelley of Brownsburg, IN. Fans are encouraged to visit AllStarTeachers.com to vote on their favorite stories through June 29. The finalist with the most votes will have a chance to attend and be recognized at the 2014 MLB All-Star Game at Target Field in Minnesota.
Sunday, June 22, 2014 – Reds vs. Blue Jays, 1:10 p.m.
• Military Appreciation Day: Today is the third in a series of Military Appreciation games this season, presented by GovX.com. Many of today’s ceremonies including first pitch, Honor Guard, National Anthem and Honorary Captain will feature servicemen and women from Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. Reds players and coaches will wear the new camouflage jerseys.
• Family Catch: Following today’s game, over 300 fans will have the unique opportunity to play “catch” on the field in this annual fundraiser for the Reds Community Fund. A limited number of packages are still available at reds.com/catch or by calling (513) 765-7240.
Ticket Offers For This Homestand
• $12 Tickets: $12 tickets are available for the June 20-22 Reds vs. Toronto Blue Jays games, while supplies last.
• Reach Magazine Family Game: Sundays are family days at the ballpark! One member of the family pays full price and may purchase up to three non-premium tickets at half-price in advance of game day only. Excludes Dugout Box, All You Can Eat Seats, Outer View Level, Value View and Kroger Bleachers: reds.com/family.
Reds Hall of Fame & Museum
• Danny Graves Autograph Signing – June 20 & 21: Meet and receive an autograph from Reds all-time saves leader Danny Graves. Danny will be signing at the Hall of Fame on Friday, June 20 from 6 to 6:30 p.m. and Saturday, June 21 from 1 to 3 p.m. Free with Museum admission.
• Jim O’Toole Bobblehead: The 2014 Reds Hall of Fame Bobblehead Series presented by Dinsmore & Shohl LLP continues in June with Jim O’Toole. Bobbleheads of the Reds HOF pitcher (class of 1970) are free with the purchase of full-price museum admission on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in June, while supplies last.
From our friends at Elias Sports Bureau…
- I’m currently on the road with the team performing my duties as Reds Media Relations official. Yesterday’s 13-4 drubbing of the Brewers felt very therapeutic for the boys in Red. I think we can agree that a game like that was long overdue.
- Bryan Price used the term “renewed vigor” when he spoke to the writers before Saturday’s game in Milwaukee. It was in reference of getting healthy. Having Latos and Votto back has been a boost and with Frazier, Phillips, Broxton, Cueto, Ludwick, Chapman and Hamilton playing the way they currently are, this team suddenly has some pep in its step and yes, renewed vigor.
- And speaking of Hamilton, it’s simply impossible to not enjoy watching him play. With two home runs over the past couple of days, could he be morphing in to a five-tool player? Appointment television when he’s playing a televised baseball game.
- I’ve been using the nickname “Cool Papa Bill” for Hamilton in reference to legendary speedster Cool Papa Bell Billy has given the stamp of approval for the name. (“Cool Papa Bell was so fast he could get out of bed, turn out the lights across the room and be back in bed under the covers before the lights went out.” – Josh Gibson)
- As far as Phillips, he didn’t strike out in any of his previous 40 plate appearances. That’s the current longest streak in the Majors, and without looking, I think it’s the longest such streak this season.
- Congratulations to Ryan Ludwick, who yesterday for the first time in his career, hit 3 doubles in a game. When he was congratulated on the feat, he was unaware that he had never done it before.
- Manager Price invited me to a staff dinner tonight here in Pittsburgh. It reminds me of the last time I was invited to such an event – also in Pittsburgh, 2010. The entire team and staff dined at the Capital Grille, early in the season. I remember coach Billy Hatcher addressing the group, and in his speech, he told the boys, “We are going to the playoffs this year. I know it. We will be in the postseason.” It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. Perhaps we should ask Billy to speak again this year.
- I’m always “whining” to Reds traveling secretary Gary Wahoff that he intentionally gives me the smallest possible rooms at the hotels in which the Reds stay on the road. In fact, I joke with Gary that the rooms are so small, there isn’t even enough room to eat a large pizza. So, when I arrived to my room here in Pittsburgh, here’s what was waiting for me…
That’s all for now!
Expect good news,