From my pal @Bongreatness...
Tonight is the first Fireworks Friday of the 2016 season, presented by T-Mobile. The postgame fireworks show, featuring Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks set to an “Ohio Connections” soundtrack, will begin approximately 10 minutes after the conclusion of tonight’s game.
The first 20,000 fans in attendance tonight will receive a Reds Magnetic Schedule with detachable car magnet, courtesy of PNC Bank.
Tonight is Northern Kentucky University Night at Great American Ball Park. During pregame ceremonies we will welcome the NKU Norse men’s basketball team, who after a 4-year transition to NCCA Division I, will be eligible to compete for NCAA championship events during the 2016-17 season as a member of the Horizon League.
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Tonight we celebrate Opening Night at Great American Ball Park. The first 20,000 fans in attendance will receive at 2016 Reds Calendar, courtesy of Kroger.
Ballpark gates are scheduled to open at 5:00PM for Season Ticket Members and 5:10PM for the general public. The early gate opening times are in anticipation of the 7th annual “Reds Carpet Parade” through the Fan Zone. The parade will feature the 2016 Cincinnati Reds team and coaching staff (*with some exclusions, most notably tonight’s starting pitcher, Brandon Finnegan), along with our mascots, and several celebrities attending tonight’s game and participating in pregame ceremonies. The parade is scheduled to begin at 5:30PM and conclude at approximately 6:15PM.
**Please note that we have tented the players parade route in an effort to hold this event rain or shine. However, if there is dangerous weather in the area at the time of the parade (severe thunderstorms or dangerous winds), we may have to reschedule to a later date this season with the safety of our players and fans in mind.
The following pregame ceremonies are scheduled to take place tonight:
• Introductions of both teams prior to the singing of our National Anthem. Reserves/coaching staff/support staff will come out as a group, while the Managers & starting lineups for each team are introduced individually.
• During the Anthem, a giant American flag will be unfurled in the outfield by Season Ticket Members.
• Tonight’s National Anthem will be sung by Lebanon, Ohio native and 2015 American Idol contestant Jess Lamb, accompanied by bandmate Kasey Williams.
• The Thomas More College women’s basketball team will receive a “Reds Country Athletic Achievement Award”. The award was created to recognize individual and team state championships, as well as national championships, won throughout Reds Country. Thomas More won their second straight Division III National Championship on Monday in Indianapolis.
• Tonight’s final ceremonial first pitch will be offered up by Thomas More College Head Coach Jeff Hans.
• Handling the Game Ball Delivery duties tonight will be Miss Ohio Teen USA 2016 Olivia Turk & Miss Ohio USA 2016 Megan Wise.
Tonight’s postgame fireworks show, featuring Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks, is scheduled to begin approximately 10 minutes after the conclusion of the game. The postgame Opening Night Fireworks show will be accompanied by a LIVE music soundtrack provided by The Rusty Griswolds. The Rustys will perform during the game and immediately following the game from the stage on the rightfield porch.
Tonight our Reds ground crew & members of the FOX Sports Ohio broadcast team will be wearing Opening Night tuxedos provided by Folchi’s Formalwear.
Tonight’s game is being broadcast nationally on ESPN2, which will co-exist in our local market with the FOX Sports Ohio telecast.
A lot of folks have already been requesting Reds intro music. Here’s what we have so far…
Fox Sports Ohio passed along the following programming note regarding Wednesday’s (tomorrow’s) game vs. Philadelphia:
Reds vs. Phillies
Reds Live Pregame Show begins at 6:30pm | Game at 7:00pm
The game is also streaming on FOX Sports GO.
The game will replay in all Reds viewing areas at on Wednesday, April 7 at 6am
• Direct TV: FSCincinnati – 661 & 661-1
• Dish: FSCincinnati – 427 & 412-17
• AT&T: FSCincinnati – 732 & 1732
• Cable viewers:
o Cincinnati, Dayton, Toledo, Louisville/Lexington, Charleston/ Huntington, Bowling Green (KY), Evansville (IN), and Terre Haute/Fort Wayne/Indianapolis areas:
– Main FOX Sports Ohio cable channel
o Wheeling/Steubenville areas:
– The game is being made available to providers to air on the alternate FOX Sports Ohio cable channels. Alternate channel information can be found here
o Columbus/Lima area:
– This game is being made available to stream on FOX Sports GO
• Only subscribers of participating pay-TV providers in Reds viewing areas will be able to access live streams of the Reds through FOX Sports GO.
• Check participating providers at FOXSportsGO.com.
• FOX Sports GO is currently available for iOS, Android, Android TV, Fire tablets and Fire phones, select Windows devices, and online at FOXSportsGO.com. Fans can download the mobile app for free from the iTunes App Store, Google Play, Amazon App Store and Windows Store.
Here’s a look at my digital scoresheet from yesterday’s exciting Opening Day game:
Currently rounding up guests for upcoming episodes of the Better Off Red Podcast. Yahoo baseball writer Jeff Passan has agreed to come on the show to chat about his new book The Arm (released today) and other baseball items. I’m really looking forward to having Jeff on.
Who would you like to hear on the BOR Podcast? Drop me a note in the comments section or on Twitter @Jamieblog.
That’s all for now!
More in a bit.
Expect good news,
RHP Homer Bailey disabled, retroactive to 3/25, and RHP Robert Stephenson (#55) recalled from Class AAA Louisville.
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) April 4, 2016
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Today the Reds will open the season at home for the 140th time in team history.
The 97th Findlay Market Opening Day Parade is scheduled to kick off at 12PM today. The Grand Marshal of this year’s parade is the Manager of the 1990 World Series champions, Lou Piniella. Reds mascots and the Scotts Reds Rally Pack will be joined by pitchers Brandon Finnegan & Alfredo Simon as participants in this year’s parade. With 175 entries, the parade is expected to finish up at approximately 2PM.
From 11AM-3:30PM today the Reds Community Fund is hosting the 5th Annual Opening Day Block Party on the streets of The Banks. Proceeds from the Block Party will benefit the P&G MLB Urban Youth Academy.
LIVE coverage of Opening Day in Cincinnati begins on FOX Sports Ohio today at 10AM. FSO will have multiple broadcast locations around the city including inside GABP, at the RCF Block Party & throughout the Opening Day Parade.
All gates to Great American Ball Park will open at 2:10PM today. However, gate opening times may be adjusted in accordance with Cincinnati Fire Code should the crowd size outside the gates dictate it so. Weather permitting, the Reds are scheduled to take on-field batting practice from 1:25-2:15PM, following by the Phillies from 2:20-3:10PM.
Traditional Opening Day pregame ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 3:28PM and will include:
• A Military Appreciation Ceremony honoring several veterans and active duty service members. Congressman Dr. Brad Wenstrup will join us in honoring these Heroes.
• The Rosie Reds will make their traditional presentation of Opening Day Plaques to Managers Pete Mackanin & Bryan Price.
• Representatives from the Findlay Market will join us to make their traditional presentation of a Findlay Market merchants basket to Reds Manager Bryan Price.
• A giant 300’x150’ American flag will be unfurled during the singing of our National Anthem by members of the Cincinnati Firefighters Union Local 48.
• We will introduce the rosters of both teams prior to the singing of our National Anthem.
• We will have a Moment of Remembrance prior to the Anthem to honor the lives of Jeff Barton, Charles “Whip” Davis, Eddie Milner, Jim O’Toole & Bernie Stowe as well as other members of the Reds family who passed away this offseason.
• Honor Guards from the United States Coast Guard, Army, Air Force, Marines Corps & Navy will present colors in our traditional “Parade of Colors”.
• 20-year old Denver, KY native Marlana VanHoose will lead us in the singing of our National Anthem.
• An E-2C Hawkeye and an E-2D Hawkeye, both part of the VAW-120 “Greyhawks” Squadron, located at the US Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, Virginia, will perform a pregame flyover.
• Manager of the 1990 Wire-to-Wire World Champions Reds and current Special Consultant to Baseball Operations Lou Piniella will offer up today’s ceremonial first pitch. Catching the pitch will be 1990 World Series Champion and current Reds third base coach Billy Hatcher.
• Former Reds outfielder Greg Vaughn, who finished 4th in the National League MVP voting his only season with the Reds (’99), will serve as today’s Honorary Captain.
Leading us in the singing of God Bless America today during the middle of the 7th inning break will be the talented local singing group, The Mistics. Following the singing of God Bless America we will introduce the crew from today’s pregame flyover.
Reds add more features & entertainment for fans of all ages
New Ballpark Features
• Fan Zone Carnival Games – Step right up and test your skills at the new Fan Zone Carnival Games located throughout the Kroger Fan Zone. Games for kids include: Rosie’s Ring Toss, Gapper’s Hit-the-Mitt, Mr. Redlegs’ Strike Zone and Mr. Red’s Bottle Break-Up; Kids games are $2 per play to win Reds-themed prizes.
Fans of all ages can test their basketball shooting skills at the Great American Ball Park Free Throw Challenge, for $5 per play with 4 out of 5 baskets winning a custom Reds basketball or other great prizes.
• All-You-Can-Eat Stand – Fans with tickets in any section of Great American Ball Park can now purchase a pass to the new All-You-Can-Eat concession stand, presented by Meijer. Enjoy unlimited hot dogs, sodas, popcorn, peanuts and chips for the low price of $20 per person at this new stand located on the View Level down the first-base line behind section 530. The All-You-Can-Eat pass can be purchased in advance or at the game and can be added to any game ticket. Limited supply so it is recommended to purchase in advance. Full details are available at reds.com/AYCE.
• Fioptics District – This new entertainment destination located in the left field corner of the View Level includes:
– Fioptics GigaBar: Spacious walk-in bar (open to all fans) featuring domestic, imported and craft beers plus wine and mixed drinks.
– Fioptics District Ticket: $15 ticket (includes first drink) gives fans general admission access into sections 408-410, with both traditional ballpark seats as well as standing drink rails. For tickets, visit reds.com/District.
– Fioptics District Rooftop: For the exclusive use of the Fioptics District Ticket holders, this rooftop patio located on top of the GigaBar features lounge furniture, a 15-foot video board and panoramic views of downtown.
– Cincinnati Bell Connections SkyBar: Private hospitality area exclusively for Cincinnati Bell Business customers.
• Arcade Games in The Machine Room Grille – Over a dozen of the best video and redemption arcade games from Scene75 Entertainment Center have been added to The Machine Room Grille located in the left field corner. Fans can load a game card to win e-tickets that can be redeemed for prizes at the redemption counter.
Upgrades Around The Ballpark
• Reds Connect Zone – Additional charging stations and power outlets have been added to the Reds Connect Zone presented by Miami University for fans to recharge their mobile devices for free during the game.
• Triple Play Suites – The Staples Triple Play Suites located down the left field line underwent a makeover during the offseason and now features sliding glass doors and updated amenities along with outdoor patio furniture and ballpark seating. Groups of 25-99 can book one, two or three of the suites at reds.com/tickets.
Kids Opening Day – Sunday, April 10 (Reds vs. Pirates, 1:10 p.m.)
• The first Family Sunday of the season will replicate the excitement of Opening Day “kids style” with special activities planned for kids and families.
• Kids Opening Day Baseball Cap giveaway to all fans 14 and younger, presented by Frisch’s Big Boy.
• Come early for a fun-filled Kids Opening Day Block Party at The Banks starting at 10:30 a.m. on Joe Nuxhall Way:
– Mascots from local sports teams, colleges, universities and businesses
– “Red carpet parade” featuring mascots starting at 12:10 p.m. in The Banks
– Photos with Cleatus, the FOX Sports robot
– Circus performers and face painters
– Strongman Sean McCarthy lifting a car
– Campbell County High School marching band
– Reds Baseball Camps offering free instructional tips
– Cincinnati Public Library’s “Pop Up Library” to check out books on-site
– Miniature horses courtesy of Seven Oaks Farm
– Hair braiding courtesy of Blown Blow Dry Studio (in Kroger Fan Zone)
– Performances by the Zooperstars (as seen on America’s Got Talent)
– Samples from Werther’s Original Soft Caramels
– Special prizes from Angry Birds
– Displays and activities from the Cincinnati Museum Center, Cincinnati Zoo, Newport Aquarium, Buddy Rodgers Music, Kentucky Speedway, Cincinnati Fire Dept., Cincinnati Police Dept. and more.
• For discount tickets and additional details visit Reds.com/KidsOpeningDay.