Under the watchful eyes of members of the Reds medical staff, Aroldis Chapman took to the sun-drenched field of Great American Ball Park this afternoon to work out with teammate Brayan Pena. As you remember, Chapman was hit in the face with a line drive in a Spring Training game on 3/19. The next day he had surgery to insert a 3-inch titanium plate and 12 screws to stabilize bones around his left eye.
Chapman has been working out and throwing at GABP while the rest of the Reds have been on the road. Today he threw “long-toss” and then threw again from about 90-feet. He and Pena also got some cardio in; running in the outfield from foul pole to foul pole.
Pena, smiling during the entire workout, seemed very impressed with the way Chapman was throwing, at one point declaring “heeee’s baaaack!”
Here are some photos from today’s session with Pena…
Friday, April 11, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Tampa Bay Rays, 7:10 p.m.
• Fireworks Friday: The first Friday night Rozzi’s fireworks show of the season will start approximately 15 minutes after the end of the game and features a BURN IT DOWN TOUR soundtrack with selections from Jason Aldean, Miranda Lambert, Florida Georgia Line and Tyler Farr. Presented by Tri-State Chevy Dealers.
• #InstaReds Night: Join us on the Riverboat Deck for #InstaReds Night, the first of six social media nights at GABP for the 2014 season, presented by Cincinnati.com. The #InstaReds Night package includes a game ticket on the Cincinnati Bell Riverboat Deck, all-inclusive ballpark buffet, unlimited soft drinks and two drink tickets (for those 21 and over) for only $45. Photographers from Cincinnati.com and the Reds will give you tips on how to take better photos for Instagram. Tickets available at reds.com/RedsSocial.
• First Pitch: Bob Herzog, traffic reporter for Local12 who is currently starring as Willy Wonka in the Children’s Theatre of Cincinnati production of “Roald Dahl’s Willy Wonka Jr.” will throw out a ceremonial first pitch.
• Club Red: Tonight is the first “Club Red” game of the season. The brand-new Club Red is the official club for fans ages 13-18. Members can select a package of five or eight Reds ticket vouchers for select Club Red games to be used by members and their friends. All members are seated together in a special Club Red section and get perks and benefits throughout the season. Membership packages start at $40 and are available at the Reds Community Corner near section 120 and at reds.com/ClubRed.
Saturday, April 12, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Tampa Bay Rays, 1:10 p.m.
• Fleece Blanket: Reds Fleece Blanket to the first 20,000 fans, presented by Duke Energy Retail.
• Spring Break at The Banks: Celebrate Spring Break with the Reds, The Holy Grail and the Cyclones. For only $20, fans get a ticket to today’s Reds vs. Rays game at 1:10 p.m., discounted appetizers and no wait drinks at The Holy Grail Banks and a ticket to the see the Cincinnati Cyclones take on the Wheeling Nailers at 7:30 p.m. for Fan Appreciation Night. Available in advance of game day only: reds.com/Cyclones.
Sunday, April 13, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Tampa Bay Rays, 1:10 p.m.
• Magnetic Schedule & Car Magnet: 2014 Reds schedule magnet and Mr. Redlegs car magnet to the first 20,000 fans, presented by PNC Bank.
• Kids Mascot Magnet: As part of family day at the ballpark, Reds mascot magnet to the first 8,000 kids 14 and younger, presented by Delta Air Lines.
• Reach Magazine Family Game: Sundays are family days at the ballpark! One member of the family pays full price and may purchase up to three non-premium tickets at half-price in advance of game day only. Excludes Dugout Box, All You Can Eat Seats, Outer View Level, Value View and Kroger Bleachers.
• Live Mascot Race: Reds mascots Mr. Redlegs, Rosie Red, Mr. Red and Gapper will participate in a live mascot race during the middle of the fifth inning.
• Run the Bases: Fans of all ages can line up after the game to run the bases.
Monday, April 14, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, 7:10 p.m.
• Bark in the Park: A limited number of dog packages are still available for the first Bark in the Park of the 2014 season, presented by Iams and Kroger. Over 600 dogs and their owners will be in a special seating area while the Kroger Fan Zone will turn into the “Dog Zone” with product samples and activities for both dogs and owners. A pregame parade with all the dogs and owners begins at 6:25 p.m. Tickets available at reds.com/dogday.
• Jay Bruce 32 Crew: Be a part of the new Jay Bruce 32 Crew on Mondays at Great American Ball Park this season. For every Monday Reds home game, fans can buy two lower-level seats for just $32 and receive two exclusive Jay Bruce 32 Crew t-shirts: reds.com/32crew.
Tuesday, April 15, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, 7:10 p.m.
• Jackie Robinson Day: The Reds and MLB will celebrate Jackie Robinson Day on April 15 to honor the legacy of the legendary Hall of Famer and, for the sixth consecutive year, all players and on-field personnel will wear Number 42. The annual celebration commemorates the 67th anniversary of Robinson breaking Baseball’s color barrier in 1947. Chuck Harmon, the first African-American to play for the Reds, will be honored during pregame ceremonies along with individuals that represent the spirit and leadership of one of baseball’s greatest heroes.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Pittsburgh Pirates, 12:35 p.m.
• Business Day Special: For every Paycor Business Day Special, get one View Level Line ticket and $10 in concession credits for only $15: reds.com/skipwork.
• Reds Wild Wednesday: For every Wednesday home game this season, fans can purchase a package for as low as $19.50 that includes a Terrace Line ticket and a voucher good for one free menu item from participating Buffalo Wild Wings locations: reds.com/wild.
• National Anthem: The husband and wife duo of Wally and O’Weida Gosser will sing the National Anthem. The Gossers have performed the anthem at a Reds game each season for the past 51 years.
Reds Hall of Fame & Museum
• Chuck Harmon Autograph Signing – April 15: Chuck Harmon, who became the first African-American to play for the Reds 60 years ago on April 17, 1954, will sign autographs and meet with fans on April 15 (Jackie Robinson Day) from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. at the Reds Hall of Fame & Museum. The signing is free with Museum admission.
• Mother’s Day Packages – May 11, Reds vs. Rockies: Celebrate Mother’s Day at the ballpark with your choice of two exclusive packages. The Mother’s Day Brunch includes a brunch buffet in the upscale Riverfront Club, Field Box seats for the game and a keepsake photo and frame. The Mother’s Day Parade package includes tickets to the game and entry into a post-game parade around the warning track. Reserve your Mother’s Day package today at: reds.com/MothersDay.
• Family Catch – June 22: The Reds Community Fund’s annual Family Catch is a fundraising event that will take place on Sunday, June 22. Fans can purchase packages to play “catch” on the field after the Reds vs. Toronto Blue Jays game: reds.com/catch.
Joey and Nibbles are on their way to GABP this weekend – you should be here, too!
Today the Reds returned from a rehabilitation assignment and reinstated from the 15-day disabled list RHP Jonathan Broxton (8/23/13 right forearm surgery)…to make room on the 25-man roster, RHP Trevor Bell went on the 15-day DL with inflammation in his right elbow.
Tonight’s game will air at 8:15pm ET on FOX Sports 1 (not Fox Sports Ohio). You can catch the pregame show at 7:30pm ET.
Thom Brennaman and Eric Karros will have the call.
Here’s tonight’s #Reds Lineup…
Some of you have been asking for the list of Reds “at-bat” music. The list below is the best I can do…some players haven’t chosen their songs yet…
#34 Bailey – “Fred Bear” by Ted Nugent
#68 Barnhart – TBD
#62 Bell - TBD
#15 Bernadina - TBD
#51 Broxton – “Iron Man” by Black Sabbath
#32 Bruce – “Trophies” by Drake (start at :05)
#54 Chapman – “Wake up” by Rage Against the Machine & “Jingo” by Santana
#58 Christiani - TBD
#52 Cingrani – “You’re Going Down” by Sick Puppies (Pitching)
#52 Cingrani – “Black Nurse” by Glass Jaw (Hitting)
#2 Cozart – “It’s all about the South” by Cadillac Three (start at :58)
#47 Cueto #1 – “Siguelo” by Wisin y Yandel (Pitching)
#21 Frazier – “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra
#6 Hamilton – “No Worries” by Lil Wayne
#9 Hannahan – “Thunderstruck” by AC/DC
#9 Hannahan #2 – “Guitars Cadillacs” by Dwight Yokam
#28 Heisey – “Gimmie Dat” by The Ambassadors (start at :21)
#60 Hoover – “Awake and Alive” by Skillet (start at :05)
#55 Latos – “Cherry Waves” by Deftones
#55 Latos – “Cinema – Skrillex Remix” by Benny Benassi (Walk-up – start at 2:12)
#44 Leake – “Intro” by The XX (Pitching)
#44 Leake – “Fitzpleasure” by Alt-J (Hitting)
#63 LeCure – “Prodigal Son” by Black Angels
#48 Ludwick #1 – “Brass Monkey” by Beastie Boys (start at :07)
#48 Ludwick #2 – “Hey Brother” by Avicii (start at Heyy Brother)
#23 Lutz – “Rattle” by Bingo Players (start at :37)
#45 Marshall – “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin
#39 Mesoraco #1– “Right Where I Need to Be” by Gary Allan (start at beginning)
#39 Mesoraco #2 – “How Country Feels” by Randy Houser (start at :09)
#37 Miller #1 – “A Country Boy Can Survive” by Hank Williams Jr.
#37 Miller #2 – “I Play Chicken with the Train” by Cowboy Troy (start at beginning)
#66 Ondrusek – “Sweet Child O’Mine” by Guns N’ Roses
#43 Parra – “Jump Around” by House of Pain
#46 Partch – “Flower” by Moby
#29 Pena – “Danza Kuduro” by The Orphans (start at :14)
#4 Phillips #1 – “I Know” by Yo Gotti (start at :25)
#4 Phillips #2 – “War Ready” by Rick Ross (start at 1:02)
#4 Phillips #3 – “Walk Thru” by Rich Homie Quan (start at :09)
#4 Phillips #4 – “Ready” by B.o.B. (start at :15)
#4 Phillips #5 – “My Hitta” by YG (start at :09)
# 7 Santiago – “6 AM “ by J Balvin (start at :35)
#31 Simon – “Dile” by Don Omar
#50 Soto – “Peligro” by Cosculluela (start at :39)
#19 Votto – “Paint it Black” by Rolling Stones (start from beginning)