With last night’s game being played at a crisp 2 hours and 6 minutes, I forgot to tweet Wednesday’s Scoreboard Stumper. So here it is…
Four players who appeared in the 1995 National League Championship Series against the Braves, also played for the Braves in their career. Who are they? (Answer posted at the conclusion of this blog post)
Putting numbers to what we’ve seen on the field so far from Reds infielders, one can confirm that the quartet of Votto, Phillips, Cozart and Frazier are having a very solid 2015. In fact, I really don’t think it’s a stretch to have all four on the National League All-Star team.
The hitting stats below show how each Reds infielder ranks offensively at his NL position:
37 hits (5th)
7 home runs (T3rd)
21 RBI (4th)
.306 avg (5th)
.408 on-base pct (4th)
.529 slugging (6th)
37 hits (T3rd)
15 RBI (T5th)
.311 avg (T3rd)
.349 on-base pct (7th)
12 home runs (1st)
23 RBI (1st)
.571 slugging (2nd)
16 walks (2nd)
.336 on-base pct (3rd)
30 hits (4th)
.547 slugging (1st)
5 home runs (T1st)
.321 avg (T3rd)
16 RBI (T4th)
.362 on-base pct (4th)
7 doubles (T6th)
34 hits (7th)
Obviously, the National League is seeing great production from first basemen Adrian Gonzalez, Paul Goldschmidt and Anthony Rizzo; second basemen Dee Gordon and Howie Kendrick; third basemen Matt Carpenter and Nolen Arenado; shortstops Freddy Galvis, Adeiny Hechavarria and Tulo (just to name a few at each position) but those in charge of deciding the All-Star team shouldn’t make the mistake of overlooking the Cincinnati infielders.
To vote for the 2015 All-Stars, CLICK HERE.
Scoreboard Stumper answer:
BRET BOONE (BRAVES: 1999)
RON GANT (BRAVES: 1987 – 1993)
REGGIE SANDERS (BRAVES: 2000)
JEROME WALTON (BRAVES: 1996)
CINCINNATI (May 13, 2015) — Cincinnati Reds fans can win great prizes when they “Vote Reds” on the 2015 Esurance MLB All-Star Game Ballot.
Fans who vote at least 35 times (per e-mail address) and select the Reds as their favorite team are automatically entered for a chance to win the “Vote Reds Grand Prize” which includes a meet and greet with All-Star third baseman Todd Frazier, four Scout Seat tickets, a signed baseball, tickets to T-Mobile All-Star FanFest and more!
Additionally, fans who vote 35 times each week through July 2 (from different e-mail addresses) can be eligible for a weekly drawing to receive a baseball signed by a Reds player.
“As the host city, we want as many Cincinnati Reds players as possible on the National League All-Star roster,” said Phil Castellini, Reds Chief Operating Officer. “We encourage fans to vote early, vote often and vote Reds.”
The 2015 Esurance MLB All-Star Game Ballot is available exclusively online and is easily accessible at reds.com/vote on a computer, tablet or smartphone. During Reds home games, fans can vote using tablets at the Reds Connect Zone located on the Terrace Level of the third-base concourse.
Vote Reds Grand Prize (all fans who vote 35 times are eligible; one lucky fan will win; voting ends on July 2 at 11:59 p.m. ET)
• Four (4) Scout Seat tickets to a Sunday-Thursday game
• Baseball signed by a 2015 Reds All-Star
• On-field Batting Practice Viewing and meet and greet with Todd Frazier for a group of 4
• Pregame or In-Game Experience for one person
• Set of 5 Commemorative All-Star Game Baseballs
• Four (4) T-Mobile All-Star FanFest tickets valid for all five days (July 10-14)
Vote Reds Weekly Prizes (all fans who vote 35 times that week are eligible; one lucky fan will win each week)
• May 11-17: Two (2) Upper View Level tickets to Sept. 26 All-Star Bobblehead Game and Signed Baseball
• May 18-24: Signed Baseball
• May 25-31: Signed Baseball
• June 1-7: Signed Baseball
• June 8-14: Signed Baseball
• June 15-21: Signed Baseball
• June 22-28: Signed Baseball
• June 29-July 2: Two (2) Upper View Level tickets to Sept. 26 All-Star Bobblehead Game and Signed Baseball
Visit reds.com/vote for official rules and prize details.
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) May 13, 2015
We are saddened at the passing of former Reds Assistant GM, Doc Rodgers. Our thoughts & prayers are with his family. pic.twitter.com/JfyCfxwrst
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) May 13, 2015
#25 Badenhop – “Strangle Hold” by Ted Nugent
#34 Bailey – “Fred Bear” by Ted Nugent
#16 Barnhart – “Working Man” by Rush (start at :07)
#27 Boesch – “Fire Squad” by J. Cole
#27 Boesch- “ G.O.M.D.” by J. Cole
#32 Bruce – “Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift (start at :03)
#9 Byrd #1- “Work” by Gang Starr
#9 Byrd #2 – “Get Like Me” by David Banner
#54 Chapman – “Wake up” by Rage Against the Machine & “Jingo” by Santana
#2 Cozart – “Ain’t Nothing Wrong With That” by Robert Randolph
#47 Cueto – “Siguelo” by Wisin y Yandel (Pitching)
#47 Cueto – “Hello City Limits” by Breakin’ Strings
#28 DeSclafani – “Moment of Clarity” by Jay-Z (batting)
#28 DeSclafani – “Calling” by Sebastian Ingrosso (start at :13) (pitching)
#15 Dominguez- “So Ambitious” by Jay Z
#70 Diaz – “Mozart LaPara” by Pa’Gozar
#21 Frazier – “Fly Me to the Moon” by Frank Sinatra
#6 Hamilton #1 – “I’m On One” by Drake
#6 Hamilton #2– “IDGT” by Kevin Gates
#6 Hamilton #3 – “Watch Me” by Silento
#60 Hoover – “Awake and Alive” by Skillet (start at :05)
#44 Leake – “Intro” by XX (Pitching)
#44 Leake – “Old Thing Back” by Matoma & Notorius B.I.G. (Hitting)
#45 Marshall – “Kashmir” by Led Zeppelin
#31 Jason Marquis – “Run This Town” – Jay Z feat. Kanye West & Rihanna (Pitching)
#39 Mesoraco #1 – “Fishing in the Dark” by The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band (start at :06)
#39 Mesoraco #2– “Right Where I Need to Be” by Gary Allan (start at beginning)
#17 Negron – “Come Around” by Collie Buddz (start at :11)
#43 Parra – “Jump Around” by House of Pain
#29 Pena #1 – “Bailando” by Enrique Iglesias
#29 Pena #2 – “All I do is Win” by DJ Khaled (start at :02)
#29 Pena – “Popurrit” by Los 4 – Reggaeton Cubano 2014, Vol. 1 (start at 5:24)
#4 Phillips #1 – “Better Have My Money” by Rihanna (start at :05 or :13)
#4 Phillips #2 – “We Good” by Fabolous (start at :15)
#4 Phillips #3 – “Flicka da Wrist” by Chedda da Connect (start at :15)
#4 Phillips #4 – “You Guessed It” by OG Maco (start at :30)
#5 Phillips #5 – “TrapQueen” by Fetty Wap (start at :10)
#25 Schumaker – “Play it Again” by Luke Bryan (start at :45)
#19 Votto – “The Blacker The Berry” by Kendrick Lamar
The #Reds have designated for assignment RHP Kevin Gregg and recalled from Class AAA Louisville RHP Pedro Villarreal (#62).
— Jamie Ramsey (@Jamieblog) May 11, 2015
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Tonight is the first Police & Fire Appreciation Night of the 2015 season. During pregame ceremonies we will honor the local heroes of our police, fire & EMS departments with activities including:
• A check presentation to the Firefighter Daryl Gordon Memorial Fund on behalf of Fire Apparatus Operator Daryl Gordon, who lost his life in the line of duty on March 26th. We will be joined at tonight’s game by many of Daryl’s friends and family members, including his wife Angela & daughters Chelsea & Angelique.
• A Moment of Remembrance to honor the lives of all fallen heroes of our police, fire & EMS departments will take place prior to the singing of our National Anthem by Fayette County (KY) School Law Enforcement Officer Van Berry (a 21-year veteran of the Lexington PD).
o Note: Tonight’s National Anthem is scheduled for 6:55PM.
• Ceremonial first pitches by District Fire Chief Paul Weber (representing CFD), members of the Sierra family (representing CPD and the memory of CPD Officer Eric Sierra), and members of the Hoevel family (representing the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office and the memory of Deputy Nick Hoevel).
• The official Game Ball will be delivered to the mound by Cincinnati Police Chief Jeff Blackwell.
Serving as our Honorary Captain tonight will be 2015 Reds Honorary Bat Girl contest winner Melissa Rupert. Melissa is the Reds team representative of MLB’s league-wide initiative to raise awareness and valuable funds for breast cancer research and prevention.
Tonight’s game is being broadcast on both FOX Sports Ohio and ESPN Monday Night Baseball. Inning breaks are extended tonight due to the national telecast.
Monday, May 11, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Atlanta Braves, 7:10 p.m. (All-Star Monday, Senior Citizen Special)
• Police & Fire Appreciation Night: Many of tonight’s pregame ceremonies will feature members of local Police, Fire, Sheriff and EMT departments and their families.
• Daryl Gordon Memorial Fund: For every regularly-priced single game ticket for tonight’s game sold in advance, the Reds will donate $1 to the Daryl Gordon Memorial Fund. Cincinnati firefighter Daryl Gordon died in the line of duty in March. His wife and two daughters will participate in a pregame ceremony.
• Honorary Bat Girl: Melissa Rupert from Liberty Township (Butler County) will be recognized during on-field pregame ceremonies as the Reds winner of Major League Baseball’s 2015 Honorary Bat Girl contest, which recognizes baseball fans who have been affected by breast cancer and who demonstrate a commitment to eradicating the disease.
• Play Sun Smart: During pregame ceremonies tonight, children from local Boys and Girls Clubs will deliver sunscreen to the dugouts as part of MLB’s Play Sun Smart campaign. Fans are encouraged to take a photo of you caring for your skin as you apply sunscreen. Tweet that photo with the hashtags #PlaySunSmart and #Reds and MLB may name you the Sun Smart Fan of the Game. Today’s winner will receive a goody bag from MLB and the American Academy of Dermatology. Play Sun Smart is dedicated to preventing skin cancer and promoting early detection and is organized by the American Academy of Dermatology, Major League Baseball and the Major League Baseball Players Association.
Tuesday, May 12, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Atlanta Braves, 7:10 p.m. (All-Star T-Shirt Tuesday)
• National Anthem: The husband and wife duo of Wally and O’Weida Gosser will sing the National Anthem. For 52 years, the Gossers have performed the Anthem at a Reds game each season.
Wednesday, May 13, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. Atlanta Braves, 7:10 p.m. (Student Discount Day)
Thursday, May 14, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. San Francisco Giants, 7:10 p.m. (4 for $48, Thirsty Thursday)
• 700WLW Night: Pregame ceremonies will celebrate the history of Reds baseball on 700WLW, including a ceremonial first pitch by longtime 700WLW morning host Jim Scott. Jim recently retired after nearly 50 years on the radio in Cincinnati. A limited number of $7 View Level tickets are available thanks to 700WLW at reds.com/wlw.
Friday, May 15, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. San Francisco Giants, 7:10 p.m. (Fireworks Friday, 4 for $48)
• STAR WARS™ Night: Characters from the STAR WARS™ film series will be greeting fans around the ballpark and the first 20,000 fans will receive an exclusive STAR WARS™ and Reds-themed poster.
• Flying Pig Night: Pregame ceremonies will honor participants of the 17th annual Flying Pig Marathon. Full marathon winners Adam Gloyeske and Amy Robillard will throw out ceremonial first pitches.
• STAR WARS™ Fireworks: Tonight’s Rozzi’s post-game fireworks show will start approximately 15 minutes after the end of the game and features a STAR WARS™ themed soundtrack. Presented by Orville Redenbacher.
Saturday, May 16, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. San Francisco Giants, 7:10 p.m. (Super Saturday, Military Appreciation Day, 4 for $48)
• Johnny Bench Bobblehead: Free bobblehead of the Hall of Fame catcher to the first 25,000 fans, presented by John Morrell. First of three in the “Stars of the Queen City” series.
• Military Appreciation Day: Today is Armed Forces Day and the first Reds Military Appreciation Day of the season, presented by Disabled American Veterans and RetireMEDiQ. Many of tonight’s pregame ceremonies will honor the men and women of the five U.S. military branches: Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force and Coast Guard. Reds players and coaches will wear the club’s alternate camouflage jerseys.
Sunday, May 17, 2015 – Cincinnati Reds vs. San Francisco Giants, 1:10 p.m. (Family Sunday, 4 for $48)
• Kids Mike Leake Poster: Kids 14 and younger will receive a free poster of the Reds starting pitcher, presented by Curly’s.
Ticket Offers For This Homestand: reds.com/tickets
• 4 for $48: For all four games May 14-17, fans can purchase four View Level tickets for $48 and receive four FREE Reds caps, presented by Reach Savings Magazine. Available only at reds.com/4for48.
• All-Star Mondays: For every Monday Reds home game, fans can purchase a package that includes a Terrace Line ticket and a commemorative baseball featuring an MLB® ALL-STAR GAME® logo for only $25, presented by Chevrolet. For the month of May the featured baseball honors the 1953 Midsummer Classic: reds.com/Mondays.
• Senior Citizen Specials: For select games (including May 11) fans 60 and older may purchase select non-premium tickets at half-price in advance of game day only. Excludes Dugout Box, All You Can Eat Seats, Upper View Level, Value View and Kroger Bleachers. Presented by Tri-State Centers For Sight: reds.com/Seniors.
• All-Star T-Shirt Tuesdays: For all Tuesday Reds home games, fans can purchase a $25 package that includes a Terrace Line ticket and an exclusive All-Star-themed T-shirt featuring a Reds player, presented by Rice Krispies Treats. The May T-shirt features Aroldis Chapman: reds.com/Tuesdays.
• Student Discount Days: Students of all ages can enjoy discount tickets to all Wednesday home games this season, courtesy of First Student: reds.com/Students.
• Thursday Thursdays: For select Thursday Reds home games (including May 14), fans can purchase a $30 package that includes a Field Box ticket and a $10 concession credit valid for food and beverages. Available only at reds.com/Thursday.
• Military Appreciation Days: For select games (including May 16), pregame ceremonies will honor military groups and fans can purchase a ticket package that includes Reds-branded aviator sunglasses. Presented by Disabled American Veterans and RetireMEDiQ. Available only at reds.com/Military.
• Family Sundays: For every Sunday home game this season, families can take advantage of two exclusive offers, presented by Klosterman Bakery:
– Get up to three half-price tickets with purchase of one full-price ticket
– Receive a FREE Kroger Meal Deal that includes a drink, hot dog, chips and a snack with your ticket
Sunday games also include giveaways for kids, face painters, live mascot races and more: reds.com/Family.
Reds Hall of Fame & Museum
• Joe Oliver Bobblehead: The 2015 Reds Hall of Fame Bobblehead Series presented by Dinsmore & Shohl LLP continues in May with Joe Oliver. The bobblehead depicts Oliver in the midst of his game-winning hit in Game 2 of the 1990 World Series and are free with regular-price admission to the Reds HOF & Museum on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in May, while supplies last. Plan your visit at redsmuseum.org.
Reds Community Fund
• Reds Baseball & Softball Camps: Spots are filling up now for the official Cincinnati Reds baseball and softball camps, presented by Safeco Insurance. For 2015, Reds Camps are offering 13 camps in Cincinnati, Northern Kentucky, Lexington, Louisville, Indianapolis, Columbus, Dayton and West Virginia. The camps begin in June are open to boys and girls ages six to 14. Sign up online today at reds.com/camps.
• 6th Annual PNC/Reds/Players For The Planet E-Waste Recycling Drives, May 14-17: Fans are encouraged to visit four convenient locations with electronic waste items for recycling:
– Thurs., May 14 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.: PNC Bank/Kroger – Northgate Square: 9650 Colerain Ave.
– Fri., May 15 from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.: PNC Bank/Kroger – Anderson Towne Center: 7500 Beechmont Ave.
– Sat., May 16 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.: PNC Bank/Kroger – Hyde Park Plaza: 3740 Paxton Road
– Sun., May 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Target/Kroger – Newport Pavilion: 160 Pavilion Parkway
Players For The Planet will accept televisions, personal computers, cell phones, monitors, small home appliances and many other electronics. A minimum donation of $10 per car is suggested to offset recycling costs and to benefit the Reds Community Fund. For a full list of acceptable items, please visit: cohenusa.com/reds.
The first 200 cars at each event will receive two free tickets to a select 2015 regular season Reds game, while supplies last.
The first round of legends participating in the All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game on Sunday, July 12th at Great American Ball Park includes:
- Cincinnati Reds legends Aaron Boone, Sean Casey, Eric Davis and Paul O’Neill
- Baseball Hall of Famer Andre Dawson
- MLB legend Fred Lynn
- Olympic Softball gold medalist Jennie Finch
These greats will play alongside talent from music, television, movies and more, who will be announced at a later date along with additional legends. The Legends & Celebrity Softball Game will be televised immediately following the Home Run Derby on ESPN on Monday, July 13th.
Celebrities who have played in previous years’ games include: Chris Pratt, Kate Upton, Jason Aldean, Eric Stonestreet, Nick Jonas, Jessica Biel, Jesse Williams, Jon Hamm, Chrissy Teigen, Kevin James, George Lopez, Jimmy Kimmel and more. Fans can receive a special ticket combo deal for $30.00 that includes both All-Star Sunday on Sunday, July 12th and T-Mobile All-Star FanFest on Monday, July 13th or Tuesday, July 14th by visiting https://oss.ticketmaster.com/aps/reds/EN/link/buy/details/15asgmtc while supplies last.
The All-Star Legends & Celebrity Softball Game is the second game of a fun doubleheader at Great American Ball Park during All-Star Sunday. Preceding the softball game will be the SiriusXM All-Star Futures Game, which will air live on MLB Network, MLB.com and SiriusXM at 3:00 p.m. ET, featuring some of MLB’s best young prospects from the U.S. and around the world.
Happy Mothers Day to @CherylLorenzen ! I'm throwing this game for you! Good or bad, I know you'll be proud.
— Michael Lorenzen (@Lorenzen55) May 10, 2015
Happy Mothers Day to my wonderful Mom and to all other moms out there. Thank you for everything. #MothersDay
— Jon Moscot (@JonnyMoscot) May 10, 2015
Want to wish a happy Mother's Day to my mom and mom-in-law. Love you and thank you.
— JJ Hoover (@JJ_Hoover) May 10, 2015
Happy Mothers Day to my Mom Patricia. Thank you for your never-ending love! You've always been my biggest supporter! #BestMom
— Jim Day (@JimDayTV) May 10, 2015
Happy Mother's Day to my beautiful mom. Hope u have a wonderful day. Love yA ma
— Todd Frazier (@FlavaFraz21) May 10, 2015
Happy Mother's Day Mom, thank you for everything that you've done and continue to do for me. I love you!!
— Tucker Barnhart (@Tucker_Barnhart) May 10, 2015
— Cincinnati Reds (@Reds) May 10, 2015
The Redlegs beat the White Sox in the first game of today’s doubleheader, 10-4. For the boxscore of that game, CLICK HERE.
Here’s the Cincinnati lineup for the nightcap…