Despite a leadoff homer by Billy Hamilton, the Reds fell to the Indians on Wednesday afternoon at Goodyear Ballpark, 4-2.
Check out Mark Sheldon’s game story on Reds.com.
Here are some photos from Wednesday…
I’m having a hard time remembering to put on my sunscreen since I’ve been here. After today, however, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to forget tomorrow. I look like a lobster.
In addition to Thursday’s regularly scheduled Reds/Indians game at Goodyear Ballpark, the teams will square off against each other earlier in the day in a “B” game at the Reds Spring Training Complex. Here are Thursday’s tentative lineups…
— Jamie Ramsey (@Jamieblog) March 4, 2015
The Reds Spring Training complex in Goodyear has a man-made hill on site to help with the team’s cardiovascular training. The hill used to be named “Mt. Krause” in honor of former Reds strength and conditioning coach Matt Krause. Krause has since moved on to the Yankees, so the hill has received a new name: “Price Hill.” A perfect tribute to both Bryan Price and that specific neighborhood located on the west side of Cincinnati.
More from Goodyear, tomorrow.
Thanks for logging on!
Baseball has officially unofficially begun.
The Reds trounced the Tribe in Tuesday’s Cactus League opener, 10-zip. As my boss said this afternoon, “You can’t win ‘em all if you don’t win the first one.”
Read Mark Sheldon’s game story, HERE.
Here are some photos from today…
Wednesday’s Reds lineup <subject to change>
Wednesday’s #Reds LU: Hamilton 8, Schumaker 7, Frazier 5, Dominguez 3, Boesch 9, Pena DH, Cozart 6, Negron 4, Barnhart 2, (DeSclafani RHP)
— Jamie Ramsey (@Jamieblog) March 3, 2015
For many reasons – some obvious, some personal – it’s so great to be out here in Arizona with Cincinnati Reds baseball. I definitely missed it. Based on the weather reports from the middle of the country, it sounds like you should be out here with us, too!
I’ll have more stuff on Wednesday to help you keep warm. Be safe and bundle up!
Good afternoon and happy Friday!
Just wanted to quickly let you know that I’ll be arriving at Reds Spring Training HQ in Goodyear, AZ on Monday.
Once I arrive, prepare to see lots of fun photos and blog posts right here on Better Off Red.
Until then, enjoy your weekend and be good to one another!
It’s Spring Training time, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the Reds are getting new signs…but not THOSE kinds of signs, rather, actual new signs at Great American Ball Park.
More from my colleague Michael “Mando” Anderson…
Great American Ball Park will be getting three new signs for the 2015 Cincinnati Reds baseball season, replacing those located over the main gates on Crosley Terrace, the sign on top of the scoreboard and the sign on the southwest corner of the ballpark.
The new signs will be paid for by Great American Insurance Group, as part of their naming rights sponsorship of Great American Ball Park thereby relieving the Cincinnati Reds and Hamilton County from having to fund the sign replacement.
The new signs will use modern, energy-efficient LED lighting that will significantly reduce power consumption and maintenance requirements.
The removal of the existing signs is beginning this week and the installation of the new signage is to be completed by Opening Day on April 6.
Single Game Tickets go on sale Saturday at 9 a.m.
Excludes Opening Day
CINCINNATI (Feb. 25, 2015) — Single game tickets for 2015 Cincinnati Reds regular season home games go on sale Saturday, Feb. 28 at 9 a.m. ET, excluding Opening Day.
Get the best seats for your favorite games of the season including:
• FIREWORKS FRIDAYS – Rozzi’s Famous Fireworks after every Friday home game, including a special show featuring the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra on July 3
• SUPER SATURDAYS – Premium giveaway every Saturday, including NINE bobbleheads
– Todd Frazier Bobblehead presented by Coca-Cola: April 11 vs. Cardinals, 1:10 p.m.
– Nasty Boys Triple Bobblehead presented by PNC Bank: April 25 vs. Cubs, 1:10 p.m. (triple bobblehead featuring Randy Myers, Rob Dibble and Norm Charlton of the 1990 Reds celebration)
– Johnny Bench “Stars of the Queen City” Bobblehead presented by John Morrell: May 16 vs. Giants, 7:10 p.m.
– Billy Hamilton Bobblehead presented by Cincinnati Bell: May 30 vs. Nationals, 4:10 p.m.
– Barry Larkin “Stars of the Queen City” Bobblehead presented by Duke Energy Retail: June 6 vs. Padres, 4:10 p.m.
– Brandon Phillips Bobblehead: June 20 vs. Marlins, 4:10 p.m.
– Devin Mesoraco Bobblehead presented by St. Elizabeth Healthcare: Aug. 1 vs. Pirates, 7:10 p.m.
– “Stars of the Queen City” Bobblehead (Player TBA): Sept. 12 vs. Cardinals, 1:05 p.m.
– 2015 All-Star Player Bobblehead: Sept. 26 vs. Mets, 4:10 p.m.
• SUNDAY FAMILY DAYS– Sunday Family Days presented by Klosterman Bakery with kids giveaways, live mascot races, circus performers and exclusive ticket offers just for families
Other can’t-miss games of the 2015 season include:
• Opening Night – Wednesday, April 8 vs. Pirates, 7:10 p.m.: Be there for a special celebration of the season’s first night game featuring post-game fireworks, live music from The Rusty Griswolds and a special pregame red carpet player appearance in the Kroger Fan Zone. The Ohio State University head football coach Urban Meyer will be joined by players and coaches from the 2014 National Championship team to participate in various pregame events and festivities.
• 1990 World Champions Celebration – Friday, April 24 vs. Cubs, 7:10 p.m.: Members of the 1990 wire-to-wire Reds will be on hand to celebrate the 25th anniversary of their World Series championship. Reds and Cubs players will wear 1990 throwback uniforms.
• STAR WARS™ Night – Friday, May 15 vs. Giants, 7:10 p.m.: May the Force be with you as the Reds journey to a galaxy far, far away with a night full of STAR WARS fun and excitement including a post-game fireworks show featuring a STAR WARS-themed soundtrack.
• Independence Day Fireworks Show – Saturday, July 4 vs. Brewers, 7:10 p.m.: A special post-game fireworks show to celebrate Fourth of July weekend, starting approximately 15 minutes after the end of the game.
• Tony Perez Day – Saturday, Aug. 22 vs. Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m.: Ceremonies honoring the legendary Reds first baseman will include the unveiling of a bronze statue outside Great American Ball Park and a pregame first pitch by the Hall of Famer. Tony Perez Replica Statue to the first 30,000 fans.
To view the full 2015 Reds promotional schedule, visit reds.com/promotions.
Fans have many options to purchase single game tickets beginning Saturday at 9 a.m.:
• Online: reds.com
• Phone: 513-381-REDS or 877-647-REDS (7337)
• In person: Great American Ball Park ticket windows and select Kroger stores with Ticketmaster retail outlets.
We concluded the Better Off Red Baseball Trivia season last night at the Holy Grail Banks with a special “Reds-Only” trivia contest. A record-tying 13 teams participated in what was arguably the best trivia night of the season. A special thanks to our friends at Holy Grail for taking care of us and putting up with our Tuesday night shenanigans. And a very special thanks to all of the teams that participated this year! Thank you!
I’m kicking the tires on having a few trivia nights during the baseball season, so stay tuned to Better Off Red for any such announcements.
To check out last night’s questions/answers, click -> February 24
And here’s last night’s leaderboard…
1st – Team Burning Spear (136 pts)
2nd – Spro Knows (124 pts)
3rd – Lactos Intolerant (108 pts)
4th – Catch Ya Later (101 pts)
5th – Team Arbormist (69 pts)
6th – Nenni’s Ninnies (64 pts)
7th – Meso’s Financial Advisors (29 pts)
T8th – OU Bobcats (1 pt)
T8th – Flight Club (1 pt)
T10th – Head’s Up (0 pt)
T10th – Riverfront Top Six (0 pts)
T10th – The Liars (0 pts)
T10th – Here 4 the Beer (0 pts)
Join me tomorrow night (Tuesday) at the Holy Grail Banks for the offseason finale of Better Off Red Baseball Trivia!
The finale will take place immediately following a live production of the Reds Hot Stove League program, and will feature ALL REDS* trivia questions!
The Hot Stove show starts at 6pm with trivia beginning at approximately 7:10ish. Tuesday’s trivia finale will be a great way to bid adieu to the Reds offseason.
BOR Trivia has been great fun in its “first season” and I’d love to personally thank all of the regulars who’ve made it so enjoyable! I hope to see you all Tuesday night!