OPENING DAY RUNDOWN OF PREGAME EVENTS
From my pal @Bongreatness…
Today the Reds will open the season at home for the 140th time in team history.
The 97th Findlay Market Opening Day Parade is scheduled to kick off at 12PM today. The Grand Marshal of this year’s parade is the Manager of the 1990 World Series champions, Lou Piniella. Reds mascots and the Scotts Reds Rally Pack will be joined by pitchers Brandon Finnegan & Alfredo Simon as participants in this year’s parade. With 175 entries, the parade is expected to finish up at approximately 2PM.
From 11AM-3:30PM today the Reds Community Fund is hosting the 5th Annual Opening Day Block Party on the streets of The Banks. Proceeds from the Block Party will benefit the P&G MLB Urban Youth Academy.
LIVE coverage of Opening Day in Cincinnati begins on FOX Sports Ohio today at 10AM. FSO will have multiple broadcast locations around the city including inside GABP, at the RCF Block Party & throughout the Opening Day Parade.
All gates to Great American Ball Park will open at 2:10PM today. However, gate opening times may be adjusted in accordance with Cincinnati Fire Code should the crowd size outside the gates dictate it so. Weather permitting, the Reds are scheduled to take on-field batting practice from 1:25-2:15PM, following by the Phillies from 2:20-3:10PM.
Traditional Opening Day pregame ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 3:28PM and will include:
• A Military Appreciation Ceremony honoring several veterans and active duty service members. Congressman Dr. Brad Wenstrup will join us in honoring these Heroes.
• The Rosie Reds will make their traditional presentation of Opening Day Plaques to Managers Pete Mackanin & Bryan Price.
• Representatives from the Findlay Market will join us to make their traditional presentation of a Findlay Market merchants basket to Reds Manager Bryan Price.
• A giant 300’x150’ American flag will be unfurled during the singing of our National Anthem by members of the Cincinnati Firefighters Union Local 48.
• We will introduce the rosters of both teams prior to the singing of our National Anthem.
• We will have a Moment of Remembrance prior to the Anthem to honor the lives of Jeff Barton, Charles “Whip” Davis, Eddie Milner, Jim O’Toole & Bernie Stowe as well as other members of the Reds family who passed away this offseason.
• Honor Guards from the United States Coast Guard, Army, Air Force, Marines Corps & Navy will present colors in our traditional “Parade of Colors”.
• 20-year old Denver, KY native Marlana VanHoose will lead us in the singing of our National Anthem.
• An E-2C Hawkeye and an E-2D Hawkeye, both part of the VAW-120 “Greyhawks” Squadron, located at the US Naval Station Norfolk in Norfolk, Virginia, will perform a pregame flyover.
• Manager of the 1990 Wire-to-Wire World Champions Reds and current Special Consultant to Baseball Operations Lou Piniella will offer up today’s ceremonial first pitch. Catching the pitch will be 1990 World Series Champion and current Reds third base coach Billy Hatcher.
• Former Reds outfielder Greg Vaughn, who finished 4th in the National League MVP voting his only season with the Reds (’99), will serve as today’s Honorary Captain.
Leading us in the singing of God Bless America today during the middle of the 7th inning break will be the talented local singing group, The Mistics. Following the singing of God Bless America we will introduce the crew from today’s pregame flyover.