#REDS BASELINE ITEMS FOR THURSDAY, JULY 2
Reds Legends and MLB Mascots to Join Fans at The Color Run MLB All-Star 5K presented by Nike on Saturday, July 11
Cincinnati Reds legends and members of the 1990 World Championship team, The Nasty Boys — Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble, and Randy Myers — will be in attendance at The Color Run MLB All-Star 5K presented by Nike on Saturday, July 11 in Downtown Cincinnati.
In addition, Mr. Redlegs, Rosie Red, Gapper and Mr. Red along with eight other MLB mascots as well as Runicorn, The Color Run mascot, will be cheering on participants as they start the race and will be available for photographs. Mascots scheduled to appear alongside the Reds mascots include: Baxter (Arizona Diamondbacks), Homer (Atlanta Braves), Paws (Detroit Tigers), Orbit (Houston Astros), Bernie (Milwaukee Brewers), Stomper (Oakland Athletics), Mariner Moose (Seattle Mariners) and Rangers Captain (Texas Rangers).
MLB will make a contribution to two charities supporting youth development – Boys & Girls Club of America, the official charity of Major League Baseball, and the Reds Community Fund – and The Color Run will make a contribution to their charitable partner, Tri-State Bleeding Disorder.
Special festivities for the event include:
• Color Drums event photos sponsored by T-Mobile – bang the drum to send magenta flying in the air!
• A Slip ’n’ Slide with colored water that ends in colored splash pools presented by Scotts
• A Beer Garden created in conjunction with Anheuser-Busch
• To help participants clean up after the event, TriHealth will create a Human Car Wash
• Post-race snacks contributed by Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Treats
• Hydration stations throughout the event furnished by Gatorade and Aquafina
For more information and to register, please visit www.allstargame.com/run
From our friends with the Louisville Bats…
Irving Falu has been selected as a 2015 International League All-Star, the league announced Thursday. The Bats’ second baseman enters play Thursday fifth among all qualifying batters in the IL with his .316 average and was the lone All-Star selected from Louisville. Falu and the International League All-Stars will take on the Pacific Coast League All-Stars in the 28th Annual Triple-A All-Star Game on Wednesday, July 15 at Werner Park in Omaha, Nebraska.
All Major League Baseball teams will wear special caps and jerseys for games played on July 4. Here’s more info from MLB:
• For games on July 4th, MLB clubs will wear special caps and, for the first time, special jerseys. The caps have a blue or red base and feature the club’s primary logo over an image of a waving American Flag. The jersey features stars within the Club’s logo or lettering on the front and number on the back.
• All of MLB’s net proceeds from the sale of those caps and jerseys will be donated to Welcome Back Veterans, which provides grants to university hospitals throughout the country to treat veterans suffering from PTSD or traumatic brain injury. MLB has committed more than $30 million to Welcome Back Veterans.
There was some talk in the pressbox yesterday about home run distances at Great American Ball Park. Earlier this season ESPN surveyed measurements at GABP and the results were as follows:
- Power Stacks (top left is 423, top right is 416)
- All Star Game Logo in RF (middle of logo is 424)
- Pilot House (middle of the words is 427)
- Cincinnati Bell (middle of word is 435)
- LF Main board (center is 446, bottom is 435)
- RF Video Board (center 434, bottom left 441) – please note board was not up at the time of the survey but this is ESPN’s current estimate until they return to GABP for an accurate measurement.
- Toyota Truck (front tire 500)
Did you see Billy Hamilton yesterday wearing the traditional stirrups?
It’s only natural for a building with the same name as a baseball legend to get involved in the All-Star festivities. Here’s the Carew Tower in downtown Cincinnati showing off it’s All-Star spirit…
That’s all for now. More in a bit!
Expect good news,