#REDS OPENING DAY RUNDOWN
Happy Opening Day, everyone!
Here’s a rundown of today’s events from my pal @Bongreatness...
Today the Reds will open the season at home for the 139th time in team history.
The 96th Findlay Market Opening Day Parade is scheduled to kick off at 12PM today. The Grand Marshals of this year’s parade are 1990 World Series champions Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble & Randy Myers. Reds mascots and the Scotts Reds Rally Pack will be joined by pitchers Anthony DeSclafani & Raisel Iglesias as participants in this year’s parade. With 177 entries, the parade is expected to finish up at approximately 2PM.
From 11AM-3:30PM today the Reds Community Fund is hosting the Opening Day Block Party on the streets of The Banks. Proceeds from the Block Party will benefit the P&G MLB Urban Youth Academy.
LIVE coverage of Opening Day in Cincinnati begins on FOX Sports Ohio today at 10AM. FSO will have multiple broadcast locations around the ballpark, including in the heart of the RCF Block Party. They will also broadcast the Opening Day Parade.
All gates to Great American Ball Park will open at 2:10PM today. However, gate opening times may be adjusted in accordance with Cincinnati Fire Code should the crowd size outside the gates dictate it so. Weather permitting, the Reds are scheduled to take on-field batting practice from 1:25-2:15PM, following by the Pirates from 2:20-3:10PM.
Traditional Opening Day pregame ceremonies are scheduled to begin at 3:29PM and will include:
• A “Wounded Heroes” ceremony honoring several veterans of our Armed Forces who are joining us at today’s game as guests of Impact A Hero. Joining us in our recognition of these Heroes will be Congressman Brad Wenstrup, Senator Rob Portman, Reds Hall of Famer Ron Oester & University of Cincinnati President Santa Ono.
• The Rosie Reds will make their traditional presentation of Opening Day Plaques to Managers Clint Hurdle & Bryan Price.
• Representatives from the Findlay Market will join us to make their traditional presentation of a Findlay Market merchants basket to Reds Manager Bryan Price.
• A giant American flag will be unfurled during the singing of our National Anthem by members of the United State Navy Reserves. The Navy Reserves are celebrating their centennial anniversary in 2015.
• We will introduce the rosters of both teams prior to the singing of our National Anthem.
• We will have a Moment of Remembrance prior to the Anthem to honor the lives of Mrs. Helen Williams and other former Reds who passed away this offseason.
• Honor Guards from the United States Navy, Coast Guard, Army, Air Force & Marines Corps will present colors in our traditional “Parade of Colors”.
• 19-year old Denver, KY native Marlana VanHoose will lead us in the singing of our National Anthem.
• A helicopter from the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Aviation Unit will perform a post-Anthem flyover.
• The Nasty Boys – Norm Charlton, Rob Dibble & Randy Myers – will offer up simultaneous ceremonial first pitches. Catching the pitches will be TBD members of the Reds.
• Retiring local radio legend Jim Scott will deliver the official game ball to the mound today. Jim’s final broadcast with 700WLW was last Friday morning.
• Reds Gameday Employee Teddy Kremer will serve as today’s Honorary Captain.
During the middle of the 7th inning break today we will honor the life of FAO Daryl Gordon and dedicate the singing of God Bless America to his memory. Cincinnati Firefighter John Winfrey will lead us in today’s singing.