OPENING DAY PREGAME AGENDA
From my pal @Bongreatness…
- Today is the 137th Opening Day game in Cincinnati.
- The 94th Findlay Market Opening Day Parade takes place today starting at 12PM. Grand Marshall of the parade is Reds Hall of Famer and 1977 National League MVP George Foster. Also participating in today’s parade are Reds starting pitchers Bronson Arroyo & Mat Latos. During pregame ceremonies today the Findlay Market will make their annual “Findlay Market Basket” presentation to Reds Manager Dusty Baker.
- The second annual Reds Community Fund Charity Block Party kicks off at 11 am on Joe Nuxhall Way and Freedom Way. The event will end at approximately 3PM with all proceeds going to the Reds Community Fund’s P&G MLB Urban Youth Academy.
- All gates to Great American Ball Park open at 1:10PM today.
- Additional pregame ceremonies today include the traditional Rosie Reds plaque presentation to Angels Manager Mike Scioscia & Reds Manager Dusty Baker, as well as our Wounded Heroes ceremony which will honor six veterans of service who were wounded during active duty. Joining us in the salute for the Wounded Heroes will be United States Senators Sherrod Brown & Rob Portman.
- The giant American flag that will be unfurled during the singing of our National Anthem today is being held by firefighters from the Cincinnati Fire Department. The CFD is celebrating their 160th anniversary today as the first professional fire department in United States history (April 1, 1853).
- Full team introductions will take place starting at 3:42PM with the visiting Los Angeles Angels, followed by the Reds.
- Prior to the singing of our National Anthem we will pause for a Moment of Remembrance to honor the passing of former Reds ownership stakeholders Louise Nippert & George Strike, as well as honor former players who passed this offseason including Ryan Freel & Frank Pastore. Following those remembrances we will join a league-wide Moment of Silence for the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary tragedy from this past December.
- Following the introduction of the Parade of Colors, featuring an honor guard from each branch of the service, the National Anthem will be sung by Cincinnati Firefighter John Winfrey. At the conclusion of the Anthem a flyover will be performed by two T-28s and one B-25 from the Tri-State War Bird Museum in Batavia, Ohio.
- Today’s ceremonial first pitch will be offered up by 9-time All-Star, 4-time World Series Champion and most recently the Manager of Team USA in the World Baseball Classic, Mr. Joe Torre. Torre currently serves as the Executive Vice President for Baseball Operations for Major League Baseball. Catching the pitch will be Team USA second baseman Brandon Phillips.
- Today’s official Game Ball Delivery duties will be handled by Cincinnati Fire Chief Richard A. Braun. And today’s Honorary Captain will be co-host of the nationally syndicated “Bob & Tom Show”, Mr. Bob Kevoian.
- God Bless America will be sung during the middle of the 7th inning break today by The Mistics.