BASELINE ITEMS: “SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL!”
If you grew up in the 80s, there’s a pretty good chance you were, to some degree, exposed to professional wrestling.
Whether you watched the matches every Saturday or every once in a while, you probably remember the Honky Tonk Man – the “greatest WWF Intercontinental Champion of all-time.”
Well, “Honky” was in Maryvale on Saturday, invited by mutual friend Mike Vassallo. Vassallo, the Milwaukee Brewers PR guy, is a long-time super fan of the HTM and tries to have him visit Brewers camp once a year, just for fun.
After Honky threw out the first pitch prior to Saturday’s Reds/Brewers tilt, he made his way up to the pressbox to take some photos and catch up with his old nemesis, Bob Uecker…
And here they are, reunited, 25 years later…
What I enjoyed most about the Honky Tonk Man being in the pressbox, was that he wanted to talk baseball while everyone else wanted to talk wrestling. He’s a big-time baseball fan. Good stuff.
Here are some more pics…
Spring Training days tend to repeat themselves, so it was nice get some out-of-the-ordinary entertainment from a character like the Honky Tonk Man.
Thanks Mike and Honky!
A few things from Saturday’s game vs. Milwaukee…
- Joey Votto was vintage Joey Votto; 3-for-4 with a home run and 3 RBI. His 7th inning, opposite field blast came off lefty Travis Webb.
- Jay Bruce ripped 2 doubles and drove in a run. Jay is beginning to regularly use the opposite field, as well. His second-inning double was to left field.
- Ryan Hanigan absolutely crushed two pitches today. One for a long double down the left field line, and another one way over the fence in left.
- Sam LeCure has looked sharp. He threw 2.0 more scoreless innings of relief today.
- Mike Leake had his first bad outing of the Spring (3.1ip, 10h, 7r/5er, 0bb, 1k, 1hr).
Once again, a very nice group of Reds fans stopped by the Reds Player Development Complex in Goodyear on Saturday to watch their favorite team get some practice in.
I promised those folks that I’d put their pics up here on the blog. So, here they are…
That’s all for now. I’ll have lots more stuff on Sunday!
Expect good news