REDS FANTASY CAMP 2012
If you’ve been reading Better Off Red for a while, you might remember my daily Reds Fantasy Camp Journal in February. I had a great time keeping the journal and an even better time participating in what’s called “Baseball Heaven.”
A couple of days ago, registration opened for Reds Fantasy Camp 2012. And if this is something you’re even a little bit interested in, I highly recommend signing up or you’ll regret it forever (not to overstate it).
And if you need a little nudge to sign up, I’m going to give the first “rookie” that signs up, a free Joe Morgan autographed baseball. The catch is, you have to have never before participated in Reds Fantasy Camp AND you have to mention that you heard about camp from Better Off Red.
I sincerely and honestly don’t remember ever having as much fun over a one-week time period than I did in February during the six days I was at fantasy camp. But to prove it, I’ve come up with a list of 10 reasons why you should go to Reds Fantasy Camp:
- Reds Legends: Your coaches will be former Reds players you grew up idolizing. You’ll get to know them and eventually wind up on a first-name basis with the likes of Kent Mercker, Jim Maloney, Tom Browning, etc.
- Playing baseball: You will be playing baseball under the warm Arizona sun, for cryin’ out loud! While your wife and kids are back home shoveling snow, you’ll be taking cuts off Jack Billingham.
- Lee May: The funniest man on the face of the planet earth just so happens to be former Red, “The Big Bopper” Lee May…and he’s a Reds Fantasy Camp fixture.
- Your very own personalized Reds uniform: One of the coolest things I ever saw, occurred when I first walked into the clubhouse and looked at the crisp white Reds jersey with my last name on the back, hanging in my very own locker. I get goosebumps just thinking about it.
- The comradery: I went on record to say that I could’ve simply coached third base all week and would’ve been just as happy as if I actually played. The guys at camp are awesome! I was worried “dream week” would be filled with a bunch of old retired rich guys who wouldn’t associate with anyone below their tax bracket. Boy, was I wrong. I met so many great people from so many different places who eventually became my very dear friends. I never once sensed that anyone in camp felt above anyone else. I know it’s cliche, but camp really is like a band of brothers.
- Access to Reds trainers: I’m not going to sugar-coat this one…after a couple of days on the diamond, you’re going to be sore. But you know what? You’ll have access to the same trainers who take care of our beloved Reds. And they do a great job.
- The facility: The new Reds Spring Training facility in Goodyear, AZ is state of the art and second to none in terms of comfort and luxury…and you’ll be playing baseball on the same fields that the Reds use for their Spring Training.
- The “clubbies”: The same guys who take care of the Reds in the clubhouse during the season will be taking care of you during Fantasy Camp. You’ll always have a clean, complete uniform ready to wear. The clubhouse guys are extraordinary and good dudes that you’ll get to know and certainly like. They’ll make sure you have whatever you need to make your time in camp comfortable.
- Kangaroo Court: Last season in camp, I was “forced” to “marry” a “woman” who looked exactly like Brad “The Animal” Lesley in drag. In fact, it WAS Brad “The Animal” Lesley in drag. It was just one of the many highlights and moments of hilarity that took place at Kangaroo Court. Lots of laughs, hijinks and jocularity. One of the more popular features of the week.
- Lifelong memories: I know it might sound corny, but you’ll forever remember the great time you had at Reds Fantasy Camp. I personally guarantee it.